Pages

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

2 Years To Go And Another Goal

When I started this journey and this blog I thought long and hard about goals that would keep me motivated. Things I wanted to accomplish as part of my weight loss. The majority of these goals are centered around health, fitness and a good lifestyle which makes sense. None of them are really self-serving goals though.. you know.. the kind of things that make you feel really really good. OK I know eating right and being fit will make me feel good but you know what I mean... real ego boosting type goals.

Well here's one... I want to be interviewed by Sean Anderson! For those of you who may not know, Sean is the author of the blog The Daily Diary of a Winning Loser. From time to time Sean interviews people who have reached their goal weight. When I reach my goal weight of 220 lbs I want to spill my guts to Sean on the phone and tell the world how I did it. How I relished in the highs and struggled through the lows of a 212 lbs weight loss trip, long and strange as it may end up being. I can visualize myself right now, on the phone with Sean, answering similar questions that he asked of Anti-Jared and Jack Sh*T. Tears in my eyes as I explain what joy my lifestyle change brought to me and my family. Reciting interesting anecdotes about how I narrowly averted fast food temptations and kicked myself in the ass when I slacked off on my exercise plan.

This would of course mean emerging from anonymity and presenting my face and name to the public (something I plan to do at some point). Why would I want to do this? Why would I want to proclaim my story to Sean? Why would I want people to know what I REALLY went through? Simple answer... I want to pay it forward. In 2012 when I'm a strapping 220 lbs dude who can run 2 miles and race my kids around the back yard I will want that 430 lb guy or gal who is just starting out to have example of how they can do it. How if they stick to a good plan and abandon a life of freestyle eating they can reach their goals. How it can be really hard at times but it's so worth the struggle. How if you change your approach to food you can change your body.

We are all in this together. No BS. The food companies, the restaurants, the work place are all conspiring to make us fat. Just kidding.. I truly believe managing our food intake and exercise activity is what shapes us physically and we control our own destiny. However, we are in this together. We are a community of people who are all fighting a disease called eating addiction. If I can help bring people together and help people find a healthier life I will feel like I have accomplished something even greater than my own transformation. My family, my friends, my fellow bloggers have all helped me and will continue to be there when I need them. I want to make sure I do the same for others long after I reach my goal weight.

So do I really want Sean to interview me when I reach my goal weight? Well, it would be cool because I'm inspired by his blog and I know others would hear the message. But it's not really a goal. Anti-Jared, Diane and Jack Sh*t have done a fine job of telling their tales to Sean and inspiring others including me.

What's most important is that others will have a chance to learn and benefit from what I will go through these next 2 years. For me, imaging and visualizing helping people down the road helps me stay on my mission to become what I want and need to be.

ETL

10 comments:

  1. I think it's great to have something like that out on the horizon, to draw strength from and to egg you on when the going gets tough (and the going will get tough). But believe me, if you reach your goal and you continue blogging, you'll have inspired plenty of people whether you get your interview or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You already are an inspiration. You've committed yourself to your goal and are sticking with it no matter what, holding yourself accountable to all your unseen blogging friends. I admire what you are doing and want to be there to hear that interview! You can always count on my support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to stick around for that interview!! I think you are doing a great job on this journey, and the goals you've set for yourself are realistic and attainable. Keep at it, you are doing a fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't tell you how it helps with my own goals to read blogs like yours and realize that we are all on the same mission!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome goal!! Sean's the best...I just talked to him on the phone a little while ago. I'll put in a good word for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Friend, that interview will happen. You are already an amazing inspiration and your success and story will inspire far more than an interview on my little blog. This is it---You're doing this. And I can feel the fire in your words. You want this so bad---and you're not giving up. Never give up my friend. There is a freedom you need to feel, there is life out there just waiting for you.
    I'm deeply touched by your kind words here. Thank you, you've made my day. And remember---That interview is yours when you're ready.
    Thank you for being such an inspiration. And I can't thank you enough for all of your support of my journey.

    My best always friend,
    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone! Let's keep helping each other get to where we need to be!

    ETL

    ReplyDelete
  8. As others have said, you're already an inspiration! And because of that...there's an award waiting for you over at my blog. ;-) http://axm1986.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. When you get interviewed let me know I will post it on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. that's such a cool goal, mine is to appear in the UK weight watchers magazine hopefully in a Tux that doesn't make me look like an Opera Singer

    ReplyDelete