Pages

Thursday, December 24, 2009

My Christmas Wish

I come from an Italian American family. Christmas Eve is a great tradition for my family... we spend it together every year. My parents, brothers, sisters and all of our kids. It is a time to slow down and spend time with each other. I've loved it since I was a young boy.

Is it also the climax of the eating year for my family. I start thinking about it around Thanksgiving. My brother will text me "ready for Christmas Eve?" This is code for are you ready to over eat? We have many traditional Italian foods.. mostly fish. And then there are the cookies, cakes, candies. My mother and sisters are wonderful bakers and I look forward to eating (not sampling) all of their creations.

I can honestly say that during the past 2 years I have not over indulged during this feast. I've been careful not to over do it. However, it is a "tradition of eating" and I think of it that way.

Will it be OK in my new lifestyle to think fo Christmas Eve as a "tradition of eating"? NO IT WILL NOT BE OK. I think beginning this year I will travel to the celebration looking forward to being with my family and enjoying a good meal.

It's the normal days throughout the year that I have to change. It's the lack of excerise I have to change. When I'm fit I won't feel guilty about eating an extra cookie or two during the Holidays.

So what is my Christmas wish? To have the resolve and will power to get on track after the holidays and stay on track. Take the right steps, one step at a time.

Merry Christmas

ETL2010

No comments:

Post a Comment